Did I promise you knitting, or what? What follows is the thousand and a half things I’ve been working on this month:
This is a pair of socks from the Yarn Harlot’s Sock Recipe – which I use for all my vanilla or “dummy” socks. The yarn was a sock blank from Knit Picks that I dyed in a green/blue/purple gradient and then wound the two strands in opposite directions and used together to make stripes. They fit like a dream…I’m actually wearing them right now!
This is my first attempt at a swatch for Berocco’s Abayomi sweater out of Cascade Venezia Sport (mmmm…merino/silk!) in Charcoal. The sweater, we agree, is stunning, but would be more wearable if it was shortened significantly. The lace pattern has no purl back rows and thoroughly kicked my tuchus as I tried to get this swatch done. The kicker? I’m going to have to needle up and try again…but I am pleased to report that the yarn is very nice to work with (and responds well to being ripped back).
This is the Endearment cardigan by Hanna Maciejewska in Hamanaka Flax C (a Japanese linen/cotton blend). I got a ton done on this cardigan this month, including the entire lower half of the body, most of the desperately tricky double-knit hem, and part of an arm. I also discovered that this cardigan is NOT going to fit me. After the initial heartbreak of this realization, I selected a worthy recipient from my knitting group and now I’m making it for her…
The body took forever because I never really memorized this alternating direction cable & lace pattern so I had to go line by line through the chart EVERY ROW.
More heartbreak here – how do you photograph a frogged project? Dearly beloved, we are gathered here to pay our respects to the Neskowin Shell out of Knit Picks Lindy Chain in Plum, with which I fell out of love and then brutally ripped out 6″ of body. This will just have to become something else.
And, of course, pride goeth before the fall. I tackled my long-suffering second sock in the Rhombus pattern by Cookie A out of Cascade Heritage Sock in Denim. It’s another challenging pattern and Second Sock Syndrome retired it to the UFO pile for a long time. In the picture above, I have nearly completed the patterned portion and am about to start decreases for the toe. Which I did. And then I compared it to it’s much older brother, sock #1…
…and it was about that time that I realized I had made two different sizes of the same pattern. Sorry for the grainy photo, this is late-night knitting. Well, sock #2 fit so well and I had to make a choice. Sock #1 has been ripped and re-wound and the entire project has returned to time out to think about what it’s done.
I had another project this year where I ran out of yarn – the Copilot cowl out of Dream in Color Everlasting Sock in Passion. My fault – I added length to it when casting on. I tried shortening a repeat but I ran out as I was doing the bind-off. I have since ordered another skein, so I had to pick up during the last repeat and rip back the bind-off. I’m excited to finish this one.
I just had to take a close-up – the wide shot doesn’t do the color justice. I can’t wait to wear this!
And last but not least – the Woven Hue Shift! I’ve now completed 85 squares (out of the planned 361). Leah had the idea to get whole rows and columns done instead of skipping around. It makes it look more complete.
Summing up, there were some wins and some losses this month – but a whole lot of progress! Until next month…
2017 Stats as of 9/30/17:
- 15 projects on the needles
- 10 from before 2017 (One Step Forward)
- 5 after (One Step Back)
- 17 projects off the needles
- 10 from before 2017 + 5 mini-achievements on huge projects
- 7 from after 2017
- Pre-2017 project completion, as of 1/1/17: 46%
- Pre-2017 project completion, as of 9/30/17: 78%
- Post-2017 project completion, as of 9/30/17: 81%